Asphalt shingle roofing is the most commonly used roofing system worldwide. They offer a huge variety of colors to complement any home, are lightweight, and are budget-friendly. These points alone make this a wise choice for your roof. There are many other exceptional benefits as well. However, as with all things, there are some disappointing features. It is the wise consumer who will weigh the good and the bad to determine if it suits them. Let’s have a look at the pros and cons of architectural asphalt shingles.
What is an architectural shingle?
They are a high-quality shingle, made from a fiberglass mat base with ceramic-coated minerals in water-resistant asphalt. Architectural shingles come in two varieties, laminated or dimensional. Multiple layers of material can be used to create this shingle. They are designed to give the home a random pattern or to simulate the look of wood shake.
What are some benefits of an architectural shingle?
The list of advantages is quite lengthy. This list will explain why this type of roofing system is so very popular
- Lightweight – not too heavy for the frame of your home to carry
- Variety of colors to choose from
- Quick installation, when done by a knowledgeable roofing company
- Individual shingles can be replaced with relative ease
- Fire resistant
- Resists insects
- It holds up well against the rain, thunderstorms, and the occasional, rare hailstorm in Los Angeles
- Can easily last for 15 to 20 years, which means a new homeowner has the option of changing to a different roofing system
As with all things to consider, architectural shingles do have some disadvantages.
- Not environmentally friendly
- Other options of roofing materials are more durable, for example, tile, cedar, or slate
- Mildew can be a problem if not regularly inspected
- Susceptible to heat damage
When to replace?
There are things to look for when you do your yearly roof inspection. Keep the following in mind when you are inspecting your roof
- Curled or buckled shingles
- Missing shingles
- Cracked singles
- Lifted shingles
- Granular accumulating in gutters and downspouts
The advantages of architectural shingles outweigh the disadvantages, however, for your home, it would be beneficial to have a free inspection done to familiarize yourself with all we can offer. Guardian Roofs in Los Angeles is an Owens Corning Platinum Preferred and GAF Master Elite certified roofing company. These premium products, as well as the top-quality service we provide combine for the best in your roofing needs. Our integrity is our promise and we will discuss all your needs and options with an honest and professional approach.
Our many reviews speak for themselves. “Professional”, “friendly”, and “exceptional” are common words we hear. We have been serving the local communities for over 30 years, available to assist you regardless if the project is large or small. Our technicians are ready to evaluate your roof and give you an estimate you can count on. We are never pushy and our reputation speaks for itself.
Let us be your top choice for all your residential and commercial roofing needs! Call today for a free consultation!